This simple savory seitan can be sliced for sandwiches, or cut into chunks for stir-fries or stews. It can also be marinated in your favorite sauces for extra flavor.
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tsp salt
1. Bring about 1" of water to a simmer in a large pot with a steamer basket or insert.2. Combine vital wheat gluten and spices. Add liquid ingredients and stir to combine.3. Knead for 1-2 minutes until firm dough is achieved.4. Split dough into desired serving sizes. Place inside pot and steam for 1 hour. Make sure to add more water to the pot as it cooks off.5. Seitan can be refrigerated for a week or frozen and defrosted for later use.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 servings