- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinse
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted work great here!)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 bag beef-style vegan crumbles (such as Gardein or Beyond Meat)
- 1 (7 oz) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped ***
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
***Note: These are spicy! If you love spice, you can add the whole can – or even two! Chop the peppers into a paste and add to chili, along with the sauce they come in. If you only like slight spice, just add one or two of the peppers from the can and a spoonful or so of the sauce. If you hate spicy food, you can skip this ingredient altogether, but I'd recommending adding in a teaspoon or so of smoked paprika in its place – it will help to replace some of the deep smoky flavor of the chipotle peppers.
- If preparing stovetop, sauté onions, peppers and garlic in a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant. Add all remaining ingredients. If using a slow-cooker, skip the first step and simply add all ingredients to slow cooker. (See note on adobo peppers.)
- Stir in a little bit of water (I usually add 1-2 can's worth of extra water), depending on how thick you like your chili. (Add less than you think you need; the veggies will release a good amount of moisture when cooked.)
- For stovetop preparation: bring pot to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Then, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and allow to simmer for *at least* 30-45 minutes, until veggies are tender. If you have the time, simmer for a few hours for the best flavor. For slow-cooker, cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir in extra water if necessary before serving.