- 3-4 large carrots, peeled
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for marinade, plus extra for roasting
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lay carrots flat on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt. Enclose carrots in foil and fold over edges to create a pouch.
- Roast carrots in pouch for 35-40 minutes, or until fork-tender, then remove and allow to cool completely.
- Thinly slice carrots on a diagonal.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a tupperware (the wider and shallower the better, so that all the carrot pieces can be evenly coated with marinade). While the flaxseed oil is a specialty ingredients, it has a distinct flavor that makes the recipe taste more convincing overall. It will still taste great if you skip it too!
- Gently toss roasted carrot slices in marinade, seal and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight. If your carrots aren't fully immersed, give them a stir every once in awhile so that they can marinate evenly.