Chicken-less Nuggets (with TVP)
These can easily be made gluten-free by substituting in rice or chickpea flour.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 7/8 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 cup breadcrums
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring vegetable broth to a boil. (Chicken-flavored veggie broth is ideal, such as the Imagine Foods No-Chicken Broth.) Pour over tvp, cover, and allow to sit for 10 minutes until fully absorbed.2. Add spices, nutritional yeast, Worcestershire sauce, and combine. Taste and adjust salt (you will need more or less depending on saltiness of your broth). Stir in 1/4 cup flour. Depending on the type of flour you use, you may need more to make a firm dough that holds together when pressed in your palm.3. Shape dough into nuggets.4. Prepare a breading station: place remaining flour, breadcrumbs, and plant milk in separate shallow dishes. Season flour with a pinch of salt and pepper.5. Dredge nuggets in flour, then dip in milk and press into breadcrumbs.6. To bake, cook on a lined baking sheet in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes. Optionally, brush with a small amount of oil or vegan butter, or spritz with spray oil, before cooking to help them get crispier and brown slightly. (The baked nuggets will be slightly less moist than the pan-fried ones.)7. To pan-fry, heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry nuggets 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel to blot off extra grease.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 10 nuggets