Yield: 5 servings
Tofu Egg Patties
prep time: 10 MINScook time: 10 MINStotal time: 20 mins
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt**
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch turmeric (optional, for color)
- Drain tofu. Cut into slices roughly 1/2" thick.
- Combine dry ingredients in a shallow container and dredge tofu slices in mixture.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. (The lower heat allows the chickpea flour to cook slowly completely to eliminate bitterness.)
- Fry tofu slices in oil until golden brown, roughly 3-5 minutes per side.
**Black salt is optional, but the sulfur in it will give the tofu an "eggy" smell and flavor. You can find it for no more than a dollar or two at Indian markets.