- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- black salt (kala namak), to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion in a bit of oil or water for 2-3 minutes. Toss in bell peppers and sauté for another minute or so.
- Crumble tofu into pan. Stir in onion and garlic powder and nutritional yeast. Pan-fry, stirring often, until excess water has cooked out of the tofu.
- Stir in fresh spinach and cook until just wilted. Sprinkle on optional vegan cheese, reduce heat to low and allow to melt.
- Top with black salt and pepper to taste. (I prefer adding black salt at the end because it retains more of its unique "eggy" smell when it isn't cooked.)
Other Favorite Combinations
- Mushrooms, caramelized onions and Daiya Swiss-style cheese.
- Canned green chilis and vegan cheddar shreds (such as Follow Your Heart cheddar-style shreds).
- Asparagus, cherry tomatoes and chopped vegan bacon (such as Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon or Lightlife Fakin' Bacon).
- Southwestern scramble with black beans, corn, sautéd red onion and peppers.