Chicken pot pie may be a comfort food classic, my family almost never ate it while I was growing up! I do have memories of the tiny pot pies by Marie Callender's from the frozen food aisle – my mom and I would eat them sometimes when dad was out of town or couldn't be home for dinner. If you've heard many of my food-related anecdotes from childhood, you may have guessed that I loved these cheap little freezer pot pies.
So I may have never had a proper homemade chicken pot pie, but I can still say with confidence that this vegan version is fantastic, and omnivore-approved! Ingredients and technique are almost identical to the original, with the simple substitution of mushrooms and vegan chicken-style strips in place of the meat. Feel free to customize with any of your favorite veggies (I love to add cauliflower and broccoli sometimes too) or even try with vegan beef to mix things up.
I chose to use store-bought puff pastry for my rendition; however, you can also use pie crust, crescent dough (many varieties are accidentally vegan), or vegan biscuit dough! Simply keep an eye on the pie if you make a substitution, as the required cook time may change.
- 1 sheet vegan-friendly puff pastry (such as Pepperidge Farm), defrosted
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 - 16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 - 10.5 oz) bag vegan chicken-style strips (such as Gardein, Beyond Meat or Morning Star)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth (preferably chicken-style, such as No Chicken Better than Bouillon)
- 1 cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry spice (optional), or any herbs you like
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté mushrooms in vegan butter over medium-high heat until they have released all their water and shrunk, roughly 5-8 minutes.
- Add diced celery, onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 more minutes, until they start to take on some color.
- Stir in frozen veggies and chickenless strips and sauté, stirring often until warmed through. Sprinkle with all-purpose flour and stir to coat. Pour in veggie broth and plant milk, and optional seasonings. Continue to cook until thickened.
- Transfer pot pie filling into pie or casserole pan. Cover with defrosted puff pastry sheet and tuck in along the edges of the pan. Cut a few vents in the pastry and brush with a bit of plant milk to encourage browning.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until pastry is puffed up and evenly golden brown.