Yield: 3-4 servings
Vegan BBQ Ribs with Jackfruit and Seitan
The seitan gives these a firm, meaty texture, while the jackfruit makes these shred apart like ribs.
prep time: 25 MINScook time: 1 hourtotal time: 1 hours and 25 mins
- 1 (20 oz) can young green jackfruit in brine
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup veggie broth
- 1/4 cup tahini (or any nut/seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or aminos
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- salt, to taste
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Steam or sauté in water for 10-15 minutes until very tender. Break apart jackfruit pieces with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine gluten, spices, and nutritional yeast. Toss in shredded jackfruit and combine.
- Combine veggie broth, tahini, Bragg's, and liquid smoke. Pour over gluten mixture and combine. Knead dough for a minute.
- Press dough into a lightly oiled 8" or 9" square pan. Optionally, cut desired number of ribs into the dough now to make them easier to pull apart later. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove seitan from oven and brush 1/3 cup barbecue sauce over the top. Flip seitan over and brush the remaining barbecue sauce on the other side.
- Return ribs to the oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes until seitan is completely firm. Brush with more bbq sauce if desired, and serve immediately.