- 1 (12 oz) block firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Indian black salt (kala namak)
- 1 sweet onion, thinly-sliced
- mushrooms, thinly-sliced
- 1 cup asparagus, in 1" pieces
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, sauté onions in a bit of olive oil until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms for 5-7 minutes, until they've shrunk and shed their excess liquid. Set aside. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine tofu, chickpea flour, water and spices and process until smooth. Stir in caramelized onions, mushrooms and asparagus.
- Spread batter evenly in a greased quiche or pie pan and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
You can check out the video tutorial for this recipe and two others on YouTube! I created the video in collaboration with Bob's Red Mill .